The four-walled box of memories.

 ↳ After the death of your grandmother, you decided to visit your grandparent's room during summer break while your grandfather was out of the house ·゚ˊˎ


__ __ __ __ __ __ __


genre: angst, fiction, descriptive, reminiscing, college!reader


warnings: mentions of character death.


word count: 587 words


request here 


prompt by Rozé


a/n: Yet again, this was another piece I wrote for my English class. I liked the outcome so I'm posting it here after tweaking some parts. Enjoy~


psa: 

- Everything written in my stories is 100% fictional (unless specified) and should NOT be associated with the characters/people in real life without permission from the author. 


- Plagiarism is NOT allowed and if caught, it will be acted upon. Even though I write for fun and treat it as a way to unwind, I don't appreciate it when other people forge my work and repost it onto other websites claiming it as their own. IF you wish to share my work kindly share the link to my website instead of copy and pasting my content. 

- If the work is rated M or NSFW (for mature content) kindly read it at your own risk especially if you are underaged. I will not be held responsible if you take offence to any of the content that falls underneath the rated M category.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __



The four-walled box of memories.


The harsh rays of light seeped out from beneath the wooden door, shining onto my toes. My hand clutched the marble doorknob as I took a harsh intake of air. I twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open, the soft creak that resonated in my ears made me remember how old this place truly was. I spent the next few seconds reminiscing of the past as the soft scent of aged wood and old plastic filled my senses. But in contrast to the memories of laughter that played in my mind, the room was empty. 

Slowly, I crossed the threshold, the wooden floor creaking beneath my weight. I softly shut the door behind me before taking in every single detail in the room. A grand mirror stood right by the door, perched up against the wall. I had her eyes. I stared at my reflection before continuing deeper into the room. Out of curiosity, I ran my fingers under the vintage vanity table that had belonged to my grandmother, only to recoil in disgust as clumps of dust gathered on my fingertips. It was painfully obvious that my grandfather hadn't done a good job at cleaning after my grandmother had left us.

My eyes scanned the bedroom for anything that might have changed since the last time I had been here. But to my surprise, everything had been left exactly the same. Just like before, the king-sized bed had been placed in the centre of the room, right up against the wall. Just at its foot was a brown two-seater couch that had minor tears, perfect for the duo that had lived here. My vision then trailed far away to the lone rocking chair by the window. So tranquil and secluded. Just like how my grandfather had liked it. 

I peered at the bed that was just a couple steps away from myself. I could still remember how soft it was from my memories. I used to spend the majority of my nights curled up in between the couple as they read me their 'exclusive' bed-time stories. My lips curled at the memory, only for my eyes to water shortly after. The knowledge that I would never be able to experience that ever again had torn at my heart. 

Giving in to my desires, I lightly plopped myself onto the bed. I grimaced when it screeched beneath my weight. I prayed that nothing had broken. I let myself get distracted by boring holes into the ceiling. My gaze travelled from the old ceiling fan to the intricate details of the wallpaper that my grandmother had adored. The golden vines danced and twirled, curling around each other above the soft pink background. 

Coming to the conclusion that I had spent more than enough time lurking around in my grandparent's room, I rose from their bed with a soft huff. The last time I had seen grandfather was during my grandmother's funeral. And as selfish as it sounds, I didn't have enough strength to see him again anytime soon. I had the burning feeling that if I were to see his face in real life, I would drop to the ground in tears. 

I smoothed out any wrinkles that had formed from my mischief and then swiftly walked towards the door to leave. The floor creaked at me, bidding me a soft farewell as I left through the door. With a soft click, I closed the portal to my four-walled box of memories. 

__ __ __ __ __ __ __


masterlist26.01.2021


Comments

Popular Posts